Translate

Monday, February 4, 2013

Last Day, an eternity


Today is February 2, and will last for far longer than 24 hours.  I attempted to keep a record of times so I could calculate how many hours it took me to get from there to here, total.

Did not sleep well in Christchurch, as I had to be up really early and was afraid the alarm would not go off.  Finally got up at 0320, the taxi was here at 0350, and I was at the airport by 0410.  This was later than they told me to be there, but still way early.  We finally boarded at 0620 and took off for Sydney.  I am flying JetStar, which charges for EVERYTHING except water.  And I thought US airlines were cheap.  My luggage was checked through to LAX!
A grey day in Sydney

The flight to Sydney took 3hr 15min, but there is a 2 hour time change, so we actually were unloading at 0745, in the rain.  Long boring day in Sydney Airport...free WiFi so I got almost caught up on my blog.  Not looking good as the plane is not here at 1400 and we are supposed to leave at 1500.  My connection in LAX is getting iffy.

Finally loaded the plane and left close to 1700.  Now the next day after a miserable night, and I've been up and travelling for 29 hours with minimal sleep.  At least it is 0700 in the correct time zone, Pacific Standard Time, but it is still February 2 because we crossed the International Date Line (confused yet?)

We landed in LAX at about 1045, so we were only 1hr 10min late.  Oh USA entry, how do I love thee?  Getting off the Airbus A380 took a while, as there 525 passengers and only one exit.  Finally got into line for Immigration, where, when I got to the front of the line the officer knew where Yuba City and stamped my passport with no questions asked.  (33 hours and counting.)

Now the wait for the luggage.  Remember it was checked in in Christchurch Airport, so it had to wait in Sydney for the correct plane, and was probably on the first pallet loaded into the plane.  First in, last off?  Yes, both bags finally showed up.  A small favor, LAX has free luggage carts.  Now into line for Customs...two lines, both about 400 people long---I kid you not.  Time she is a passin'.  My flight for Sacramento leaves at 1220.  Surely the US can find a faster way to screen incoming passengers.  Got through Customs at 1235---yes, that 1235, 15 minutes past the time my flight took off.

As I started the long trek in LAX from the International Terminal to Terminal 1, I remembered that my big suitcase was too heavy for SWA, so I stopped inside Terminal 3 to put something into my carry-on.  Then I remembered that I had had a call on my cell while waiting in the Customs line. ( You are not allowed to take calls in the Customs Hall.)  It was SWA saying my 1220 flight had been changed to 1320---I could still make this flight as it was (only!!) 1245.

I hustled through Terminal 3, then past Terminal 2, then to SWA, which, of course, is the last airline in Terminal 1.  Short line, got to the counter, was told I was late to check in (like I didn't know it already).  Told her I had just gotten off an international flight and here I was!  Slapped "Late Baggage" on my bags, and off I was to turn them into TSA.  Now, up the stairs to--wait for it, wait for it---security check.  It is now a little after 1300.  Will I make it?  Short line for security...family of six ahead of me, with kids!!!  Forgot to take my phone out of my pocket, back through the scanner, now for a pat down.  Shoes on, bags picked up, phone back in pocket (I'm sweating by this time.), thank goodness, the gate is the first on on the right, and my boarding number has already been called, so I skip the B line and am finally on the plane.

Home at last, SMF
Am I done yet?  Not quite.  (Remember the Late Baggage?)  The plane is half empty, and I have three seats for myself.  I am so hungry by this time (Breakfast was at 0700, and I didn't feel like eating all of it.)  that I asked for extra peanuts.  We arrived at SMF and I was waiting in baggage at 1515 when Rob called.  Only one bag showed up... (Remember the Late Baggage?).  SWA baggage was so nice.  My "lost" bag would be on the next direct flight, supposedly.  Rob drove me home, where I arrived at about 1600.  This was a total of about 37 hours with minimal sleep the night before and lousy sleep on the plane.  Wow, wow indeed.

BTW, my bag did show up on the next flight and Rob picked it up for me.

Thanks to all of you who followed my adventures, and a special thanks to those who commented...chiefly my daughter Surani, but also quilting pals Claire and Jan, my swimming bud, Heidi, as well as my son Rob and his special friend Kat.












3 comments:

  1. Honorable mention! Love it! Welcome back Mom! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey adventurer! old news now, I guess, but Surani told me more and about your blog. I have an aunt that blogs! Love it. Heard you are in as good shape as ever and exercising like a fiend. Wish I could so that. Hope to see you soon. Love, Paul.

    ReplyDelete