Translate

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Day 7---National Museum and more walking

Jan Matejko, The Battle of Grunwald, 1878
Patrick and I pretty much had the day to ourselves, same for tomorrow.  The cohort had business meetings today (and tomorrow) so we got to wander the streets of Warsaw for ourselves.  Turned out to be a cold, rainy day-- think January in northern California.  Nonetheless, every one is out walking around, umbrellas in hand.  I sure love my L.L.Beans rain jacket, it really works.  We walked to the National Museum of Poland, Muzeum Narodowe w Warszawie.  Not quite what we expected.  I was perhaps expecting more historical artifacts, or archaeological artifacts, or something else.  I got gallery after gallery of painting, the majority seeming to be of either the Madonna and child or the Crucifixion.  This painting shown here is huge, 454 sq ft, and took years to paint.  Wonder how this was hidden from the Nazi theft of art from Poland, all of which has not been found as there are still about 5000 pieces not accounted for.
Surani's paczek tradycyjay
 We had lunch at a restaurant called A. Blikle , which has been in business since 1869.  I finally had pierogi, which resemble large ravioli.  Tasty...I can still taste, even though I currently have a cold.  Patrick left to meet up with the cohort as he had asked special permission to attend one of the business sessions, while I went to the A.Blikle shop and bought Surani paczek tradycyjay, which are like jelly filled doughnuts, but with candied orange peel on top and rose jelly inside.  I then walked back to the hotel, stopping for souveniers along the way, and took a nap.
Traditional Polish design, cut from paper

Shock--Sunshine in Warsaw









At least the outside of the mall is diffenert
                Later, we went over to the mall again ( I think malls worldwide are the same--too many clothes, jewelry and shoes) then walked to Nowy Swait to find a place to eat.  Ended up at Kameralna, a traditional Polish eatery--think down home comfort food.  By now I could no longer taste anything.  I had sour soup, which is served in a bread bowl and has ham and hard boiled egg in it.  Patrick had breaded pork cutlet, potato-gnocchi like things, and cabbage, slightly sweet and sour.  I could taste none of it.  Surani had a potato pancake which was more like a crepe.  Patrick and Surani enjoyed their meals, and I'm sure I would have had I the ability to taste.

Patrick's yummy supper
My sour soup



















2 comments:

  1. Once again, I am totally enjoying the voyage thru your eyes. You are so perceptive and your information on food and sights is concise and informative. Have you found any quilt shops or even fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh....I am sorry you are not feeling up to par. Be well.

    ReplyDelete