Translate

Monday, March 7, 2016

India Textile Tour Day 1


I hate staying up for long periods...that said, I couldn't sleep on the plane, as usual and so was up more than 24 hours. I was so tired I barely remember putting my head on the pillow last night. It is now Sunday morning in Delhi, and we are going to a textile museum, but more on that later, probably next post.



The first lesson of India-patience
Left Dulles with snow on the ground, landed in Dubai where it was cloudy. Dubai strikes me as a beige country with beige houses, but since I didn't see any more of it that the airport, perhaps I'm being judgmental. Changed planes and on the Delhi. I must say, the Airbus A310 for the first part of the flight was nicer than the Boeing 777 on the second, but both flew just fine.

A nice welcome












Delhi is as always. Traffic worse than ever, with the lines on the pavement merely suggestions which are not followed---four lanes work as five, so why not? Nice being on a tourist bus, air conditioned. Air pollution is as bad as LA used to be, and I'm coughing already.



 After checking into the Metropolitan Hotel, in New Delhi near Connaught Place (a throughly western hotel like nothing I have ever stayed in in India before) we were taken to dinner at a tandoori restaurant, also very upscale. Food was excellent, but way too much of it. Great naan though, and I have never had paneer toasted like I had it last night. Very tasty.



Back to the hotel, to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment