Translate

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Singapore Day 12

During the night we crossed the Wallace line, Jac. This, for the rest of you, is an imaginery line drawn in 1869 by Alfred Russel Wallace to divide the Asian flora and fauna from the Australian fauna and flora, and it is between Bali and Lombok. This actually anticipated the plate tectonics and continental drift theory. Apparently the Lombok Strait is one of the deepest bodies of water in the world, and quite rough. We are actually sailing past Lombok to get to Komodo Island, and then we start back and stop in Lombok on Day 14.
At Komodo Island today, which is actually an Indonesian National Park as well as a World Heritage Site. I would like to visit all of the World Heritage Sites but I don't think this is going to happen.





Two 10' males unhappy with each other
Tanis very much wanted to see the dragons, which are really very large monitor lizards, but I had no desire to go on the trek to see them. I stayed on board ship while Tanis went on shore with my camera so she could take pictures. She came back drenched in sweat but happy with pictures for me.

"Man-eater" sunning himself
Actually, no deaths by dragon since the 1980's

Notice the stick used to protect the tourists!!!

Although they can run pretty fast


2 comments:

  1. Crossing the Wallace Line is very cool. I never think Alfred Russell Wallace gets his proper recognition (That cheeky Darwin fellow stole his thunder). I have trouble figuring out how to post on this blog, so you may not see this. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dragons. So attractive. I'm surprised y'all didn't bring one home.,

    ReplyDelete