Translate

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Day 1--Canada Road Trip

My trip to Canada, the second year in a row, started today.  I so enjoy road trips, the half scared feeling of anticipation as you set out.  Similar to the excitement of an upcoming weekend, or the end of school, it's not a feeling I get much anymore, being retired.

Did my usual stop in Weed for lunch...at Subway no less.  No quilt shops in sight, and the one I did stop at in Cottonwood is no more.  Too bad, I had heard that it was a good one.


 Black Butte at the base of Mt. Shasta,  and right next to I-5, is always an anticipated sight.  I also enjoy seeing Castle Crags near Dunsmuir, but have no picture.
Mt Shasta was a disappointment, as you could
 not see the top for clouds.
So, some 450 miles later, I am in Cottage Grove Oregon.  A small town, there's tons of fast food but not much else.  The place recommended to me by the motel clerk was a hamburger place called "Pink House" but I didn't want hamburgers.  After cruising the main, all of 4 minutes, I ended up at "Gateway to India."  Not the best Indian food, but in Cottage Grove!  Went to Walmart for excitement, and am now preparing to watch the Olympics.  Tired from driving...eight or so hours, as I left home at 9AM.  Worst day as far as driving is concerned...I always forget that the first 250 miles of Oregon are all mountains.  At least that's over.

Tomorrow---a great day.  The Fabric Depot in Portland and The Shibori Dragon in Lakewood WA, plus I'm going to eat at a place in Portland from "Drive Ins, Diners and Dives."  Yummmm.

1 comment:

  1. I too used to stop in Weed on my way up to Oregon, though I frequented the Taco Bell! Road trips northward are always so fun, enjoy the rest!!

    ReplyDelete