Translate

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Day 2---Cottage Grove to Kent

So busy last night I didn't get this posted!  Anyway, here's the day.

Left Cottage Grove this morning after filling up the car.  Could have gotten a few more miles out of the tank, but who chance it?  I now know it is 436 miles or so from home to here.  Cloudy this morning, but cleared by wiithin an hour.

First stop was at Fabric Depot off I-205 in Portland.  Acres of fabric, and Pat and I both think that this store may be bigger than Hancocks of Paducah.  The Depot also has scads of craft supplies, quilting notions, some regular fabric, some household fabric, and some yarn.  I bought some pretty fabric and the backing for a wedding quilt I'm making for Lara, my brother Jim and Randi's daughter.
I had planned to eat at a "Drive Ins, Diners and Dives" place called Arleta Library Cafe and Bakery.  Unfortunately, they had run out of food by about 1:15, when I got there.  Definitely of the "Dive" persuasion, I was disappointed, but asked them where to eat.  They said "Space Monkey Coffee" next door.  Had a really great pulled chicken sandwich on the greatest bread.  Nutty, seedy and very hearty, if I live in Portland I would find out where to buy it.  After drinking my iced latte (it is, after all, a coffee shop) I left Portland about 2:00.

I left Portland and drove to Lakewood.  To tell you the truth I don't remember much of my drive through Washington.  I know the traffic was not bad until Tacoma, but I was listening to "Hunger Games" and do remember that.  A good book, now I guess I'll have to watch the movie.

The Shibori Dragon
I stopped in Lakewood at a really great oriental shop called "The Shibori Dragon."  Check them out online...a fantastic selection of fabric, plus some yarn and beads.  Bought some really nice fabric there.



Surani and Bebeji (Mohinder Kaur Dhia)
Drove from Lakewood to Kent to visit a family friend, Ranjit Singh Dhia and his family.  Our two families have been friends for four generations, and we try to keep it going.  Surani and her daughter Sienna are at UW for orientation, and she drove down from Seattle to see Ranjit.  His mother, Bebeji, took care of Surani when she visited India in 1982, so she knew her well.  We had a great meal and a nice time looking at pictures.

Back:  Gurjote, Manjit, Ranjit, Harjot, Surani, Bebeji
Front: Anaahad, Sienna




No comments:

Post a Comment