Translate

Monday, August 13, 2012

Day 9---On to Oregon

                                photo by Sienna Landry
Sienna went with Billy and Simer to the UBC campus yesterday.  Simer gives her a hard time about choosing to go to UW when she could have chosen UBC.  Below is an evening view of the Undergraduate Library.
Sienna and I really enjoyed our jampacked days in Vancouver and vicinity, but it's time to say goodby and head back home to California.
We left Vancouver at about 9:45 with 940 miles on my odometer from the trip up, and a nearly full tank of gas...filled up in Bellingham on my way up, the third tank of the trip (full at home, filled up in Cottage Grove OR...I love my Prius).  After about 45 minutes at the border, we finally were on the road.  Traffic was great through Seattle, not so great around Centrailia.  I always seem to hit traffic on that stretch in central Washington.  Slowed us down to zero at times, but we finally reached Portland, just in time for the evening rush, and boy, does Portland have rush...reminded me of San Jose.  Finally through Portland, we stopped outside of Salem for coffee and a short walk.

Back in the car, we left the freeway at Corvallis, a University of Oregon town, also in a novel series by S. M. Sterling which I really enjoyed.  A beautiful drive through the coast range on Oregon 34 brought us to Waldport just as the sun was setting.  Down the coast in the evening fog, we are in a motel called Deane's Oceanview.  A funky 50's kind of motel, I really like the retro feel.
                                              Photo by Sienna Landry

No comments:

Post a Comment