Translate

Monday, January 28, 2013

Day 1---Down the North Island




Me and my little corner
Very impressed by KiwiRail.  Baggage in baggage compartment, so I'm free!  Earphones with commentary, cafe car available, able to move freely, leg room; no comparison to airline at all.  Given the chance I would travel by train anytime.  Someone had my seat, so I sat in someone elses---finally put me in the "corporate lounge," aka Cafe Car.  Fine with me as I have a table to write on and two seats, one to spread out on.
Adding an engine
I feel like a success.  I made it from the ship to the hotel, woke up in time, made it to the train station, walking four blocks with two suitcases and a backpack...almost all downhill or I wouldn't have made it, and got on the train.  Next great adventure, besides those Randi hints about, will be getting home, especially getting to SWA on time.  Hope to have less weight then---will try to send some material home.

In Hamilton an electric engine was attached to the front of the diesel to provide extra power for the climb over the Raurimu Spiral to get to the central volcanic plateau.  The train will travel 6.8 km to complete 2 km of distance as it climbs 132 m in height, nearly straight up.
A tunnel on the
Raumiru Spiral
Before the spiral we spent an hour or more going through hill country, or king country (referring to the Maori kings), which are broken hills that remind me of the country south of San Jose heading toward Salinas.  Most of the country is sheep and cattle, with the occasional pine plantation,  until we reached National Park where there is a lot of original forest remaining.  We could see, off in the distance, Mt Ruapehu which is the only one on North Island with glaciers, and Mt Taranaki just to the north.  We continued down into a plain, still with lots of sheep and cattle, and thus to Wellington.  Jim and Randi met me, but neglected to bring the bells Randi said they'd greet me with.
Mt Taranaki
Nicer cone than Mt Fuji
Mt Ruapehu



Wellington Train Station
check the platform number



The appetizer
Walked to the hotel, and then to the waterfront for dinner.  Bed finally.
My salad, all I wanted
Grilled salmon, calamari and shrimp

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are finally back online - I was beginning to have Aussie withdrawls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously! Thought you had dropped off the edge of the island! Where exactly are you? Can't do google earth travels with you based on mountains.

    ReplyDelete