Translate

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Day 14--Off the ship in Auckland


Can't say I'm much impressed with the 14th day of the cruise--can it even be counted as a day?  We woke early this morning as Tanis had to be ready to go at 0700.  Packing not a problem as we had to have our luggage in the hall by 2100 last night.  Up for our last breakfast, then Tanis off on a tour and then a long wait at the airport for her flight to Vancouver at 2000.  I did not have to be ready to leave until 0935, so I went back to the cabin and relaxed for an hour.

Part of the huge queue for taxis
Hurry up and wait!  Did not get off the ship until about 1000, then walked to the terminal to find my luggage.  Thank god they have trolleys to put your luggage on.  Out the terminal to a huge queue for taxis.  I decided to take a taxi instead of walk the four blocks or so to the hotel because I was not exactly sure where the hotel was.

Turns out the Shakespeare Hotel is on top of a microbrewery/restaurant, surprised the taxi driver, as she did not know it was here. Lots of Sikh taxi drivers/people on the street---first Punjabi I have heard in a long time. Actually Chand Grewal has relatives here, but I don't know their name, so no looking them up.

Check out the McD ad on bus
Peri-peri is chili sauce
Auckland is NZ's largest city, and looks pretty much like cities anywhere. I walked down to Britomart Transport Centre to find out where I have to go at 0700 tomorrow morning. Turned out there is a kiosk which is only open for about a half hour to check in travelers on KiwiRail. Hiding in plain sight, I did not at first see it because it is covered in advertising. At least I know where to go tomorrow morning.


Diamond Princess docked
just about city centre, I think

1 comment:

  1. How smart of you to do a pre-check on your destination in the morning. Good on ya mate! Enjoy the next phase of your travels.

    ReplyDelete