Translate

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Day 5---a day at sea

Sylvia with orchid tifaifai

A day at sea...thanks goodness I have another Sylvia Pippen class to take. This one is call Tifaifai, and it is all about Tahitian and Cook Island applique. It is similar to Hawaiian, except Hawaiian has an octal symmetry, and this is only four sided. It is also very heavily embellished with embroidery, something I have not done much of for a while.
The hibiscus tifaifai I'm doing




Tanis took the day off from quilting for bridge playing, and I also had to go through Kiwi immigration. Imagine this, immigration officers flying to Melbourne, getting on a cruise ship for three days, and then getting off and flying home to Wellington or Auckland. Even this might get old after a while. We almost won the afternoon trivia contest, but the tie breaker proved our undoing...do you know how many ants a giant anteater eats in a day????? Apparently it is 30,000, not 100,000.






Sue Daley with one of her quilts
We met as a group for dinner, and then went up to the top of the ship for a trunk show by Sue Daley, an Australian quilter most well known for her English paper piecing. She showed some very nice quilts, and I may try one sometime. Tanis and I left after to go to bed...the Tasman sea is really rough tonight, and being on top of the ship was not pleasant.

A piece of pie---I might do this
A close-up of the previous quilt
Check out the fussy cutting

4 comments:

  1. I really like the look of "piece of pie". Nice of you to resist helping out the Aussie economy too much. Saw on the news there was a huge fire in Australia and yes I know it is a very large country, but I was wondering if you were any where near it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that... the "piece of pie" quilt is just fantastic! Makes me hungry for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to ask Sue if she has a pattern with her...no I have not spent the kids inheritance YET!

    ReplyDelete